How to Apply
PRL faculty have varied research interests and are affiliated with multiple departments and programs on campus. The PRL is affiliated with one college and seven departments through joint appointments of its faculty:
- College of Natural Science
- Department of AgBioResearch
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
- Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
- Department of Plant Biology
- Department of Plant Pathology
Although we are not a degree-granting program, we consider applicants referred by our affiliated degree-granting departments and programs. To join the PRL, it is recommended that prospective graduate students apply through the Molecular Plant Sciences (MPS) graduate program. Note that we do not accept applications directly from prospective graduate students.
When you apply, please note in your Statement of Purpose that you would like to be considered by the PRL and also indicate any PRL faculty whose research areas interest you. We encourage you to contact your core PRL faculty of interest regarding potential openings in their laboratories. Not all faculty accept students every year.
Graduate Students in the PRL are fully funded, but several do also apply for outside support. Award of a fellowship in recognition of outstanding performance can be an attractive addition to a resume, and in some cases the stipend may be slightly larger. Fellowship opportunities may be found at the Graduate School Funding website.