How to Apply

PRL faculty have many varied interests, conduct interdisciplinary research, and are affiliated with multiple departments and programs on campus. Because the PRL is not a degree-granting program, we do not accept applications directly from prospective graduate students. Instead, we consider applicants referred by one of the degree-granting departments/programs listed below. Within recent years, admission to number of the relevant graduate student programs has been streamlined and condensed into the Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) Gateway, and many of the graduate students currently within the PRL have entered through this program.

When you apply to an individual department or program, please note in your Statement of Purpose that you would like to be considered by the PRL and also indicate any PRL faculty whose research areas interest you. We also encourage you to correspond with one or more of our faculty so that we know of your interest in our program and so that future rotation/research possibilities may be discussed.

To learn more about individual departments or programs and for direction on applying, please look into the specific requirements and procedures directly from the program list below.
Department or Program Applications to Graduate Program
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (BMB) Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) Gateway
Cell & Molecular Biology Program (CMB) Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) Gateway
Department of Plant, Soil, and Microbial Science(PSMS) Department of Plant, Soil, and Microbial Science(PSMS)
Genetics Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) Gateway
Microbiology & Molecular Genetics (MMG) Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) Gateway
Plant Biology (PLB) Plant Biology (PLB)