There are 9 item(s) tagged with the keyword "Benning lab".
Displaying: 1 - 9 of 9
- 1. A new chloroplast 'app' for making biofuels
In addition to doing photosynthesis, the chloroplast is the source of up to 10% of seed oil production in plants. Scientists are experimenting with harvesting that oil to make biofuels.
- By Igor Houwat, Kun Wang, Christoph Benning
- 2. Squeezing oil out of plants and into your gas tank: it's hard.
When the Benning lab tried a technique for producing plant biofuels, an unexpected result led to an increase in our basic knowledge of plant biology.
- 3. Getting first prize at the UURAF: Our 3 winners tell us how
We interview Hope, Michael, and Cassie to find out what drew them to science, what makes them tick, and why they think they did well at the UURAF.
- 4. Montgomery Smith granted 2017 Excellence in Diversity Award
The Benning lab freshman has received an honorable mention in the "Students Making a Difference Through Artistic Expression" contest for her visual arts social issues series on Detroit.
- 5. 'Dialing in the lipidome'
In the ongoing quest for healthier lifestyles and environmental sustainability, one of the biggest solutions might also be one of the tiniest: lipids. Think biofuels, cancer research, or even producing fish oils in plants.
- 6. The building of impactful science careers
Reading science news online gives us exciting insights about our lives and the universe. But the path to significant discoveries is a long one, as seen in the Benning lab's latest photosynthesis related study.
- 7. Acidification tells plants it's deadly freezing
The warning causes plants to protect their energy factories from freezing temperatures. This discovery will help increase both the economic feasibility of renewable energies and plant yields.
- 8. Enhancing the value of biofuel crops with plant-based oils
Advances in synthetic biology are allowing Christoph Benning and his collaborators at the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center to coax plants into producing more oils and valuable compounds.
- 9. Undergraduate Research Forum - Part 1/3: Hope Hersh
PRL undergraduates had a strong presence at the University Undergraduate Research and Arts Forum that took place at the MSU Union on Friday, April 8, even taking away a first prize for a poster presentation. We first profile Hope Hersh.
Displaying: 1 - 9 of 9