There are 17 item(s) tagged with the keyword "Benning Lab".
- 1. A new DNA editing toolkit for the alga Nannochloropsis
The alga Nannochloropsis is increasingly of interest for the production of biofuels and other oil-based chemicals.
- By By Igor Houwat, Eric Poliner
- 2. When lipids meet hormones: plants' answer to complex stresses
How plants harvest their own chloroplasts - photosynthesis machines that make their food - to help defend against outside threats.
- By By Igor Houwat, Kun Wang
- 3. Yang Yang, PRL post-doc, starts science editor position at Wiley Beijing
Yang Yang, a former post-doc in the lab of Christoph Benning, has started a science editor position at the Wiley Beijing office. Wiley is a global company that specializes in academic publishing.
- By Igor Houwat
- 4. Christoph Benning wins 2018 MSU Innovator of the Year Award with John Ohlrogge
The two scientists were recognized by the MSU Innovation Center for their work on a gene switch that allows plants to accumulate seed oil.
- By Igor Houwat, Val Osowski; Photo courtesy of Katie Stiefel, Moonsail North
- 5. Benning lab students win at 2018 ASPB Midwest Meeting
Nick Fekaris and Tomomi Takeuchi, from the Benning lab, have won for presenting their research at the 2018 Annual Meeting - Midwestern Section of the American Society of Plant Biologists.
- By By Igor Houwat; Banner image by Susanne Hoffmann-Benning
- 6. Anna Hurlock, recent PhD graduate, joins biotech company BioFire Diagnostics
Hurlock, formerly in the lab of Christoph Benning, joins the Utah-based biotech company as a Clinical Affairs Scientist.
- By By Igor Houwat
- 7. Faculty Voice - Christoph Benning: Facilitating Collaborations
The MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory Director reflects on his experience of fruitful multi-lab projects at MSU.
- By By Christoph Benning, Igor Houwat
- 8. Stress tested: how algae change their internal solar panels to stay alive
The natural solar panels constantly grow and shrink in size to adjust to changes in their hosts' environments. Scientists want to tap into this energy source for biofuels and food purposes.
- By By Igor Houwat, Zhiyan (Rock) Du
- 9. A new chloroplast 'app' for making biofuels
In addition to doing photosynthesis, the chloroplast is the source of up to 10% of seed oil production in plants. Scientists are experimenting with harvesting that oil to make biofuels.
- By Igor Houwat, Kun Wang, Christoph Benning
- 10. Squeezing oil out of plants and into your gas tank: it's hard.
When the Benning lab tried a technique for producing plant biofuels, an unexpected result led to an increase in our basic knowledge of plant biology.
Displaying: 1 - 10 of 17